It’s National Chicken Month and it’s also that time of year when a savory stew of sorts is just the right thing. Check out this Dutch Oven delight featuring this month’s honoree, the chicken!
Easy Dutch Oven Chicken and Rice (serves 5)
Recipe from letscampmore.com
1 cup long grain white rice
1 ¾ pounds, boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chicken broth or chicken stock
1 cup sour cream
Light 25-35 pieces of charcoal for the Dutch oven. Mix the broth, mushroom soup, and sour cream in a bowl and set aside. Line or spray the bottom of the cast iron Dutch oven pot. Pour 1 cup of dry rice into the bottom of the pot. Layer the chicken pieces on top of the rice. Sprinkle the broth/soup/sour cream mixture on top. Cover the Dutch oven. Place 8 prepared coal briquettes under the pot and put 17 coal briquettes on the lid. Bake for one hour, rotating the lid and pot in the opposite direction every 15 minutes. At the one-hour mark, carefully remove the lid and cut into the chicken to make sure it is done; it should be 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Cozy is the name of the game this fall! Here’s how to stay cozy all fall camping season long!
- On the lookout for some fall foliage? We found the best places to see fall colors!
- Sometimes, you need an easy meal, we get it. These are the best charcuterie board combinations.
- The Pacific Northwest is the ideal autumn getaway. Go totally tourist in the Pacific Northwest and embrace the season!
- Explore the Thousand Trails Camping Pass and the Thousand Trails Cabin Pass.
- Find more campgrounds at ThousandTrails.com.