Summertime brings a bounty of fruits from cherries to berries and beyond. July honors two summer fruits: the blueberry and watermelon. Both are celebrated in July with National Blueberry Month and National Watermelon Month.
Watermelon Feta Salad (serves 6)
Recipe from twopeasandtheirpod.com
6 cups watermelon, cubed
½ red onion, chopped
½ cup feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
Balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze (optional)
In a large bowl, combine cubed watermelon, red onion, feta, and mint. Mix well until all ingredients are combined. Drizzles lightly with balsamic vinegar or glaze, if preferred. Serve chilled.
Campfire Blueberry Crisp (serves 6)
Recipe from mommyhatescooking.com
32 ounces fresh blueberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (regular or gluten free)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup water
1 cup old-fashioned oats (regular or gluten free)
1 cup all-purpose flour (regular or gluten free)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter, softened
Vanilla Ice Cream (optional)
- In a cast iron skillet or aluminum baking pan, place the blueberries evenly on the bottom.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then, place this mixture evenly over the blueberries.
- Pour in the water.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon and nutmeg over it to enhance the flavor.
- In another bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Then, mix in the softened butter.
- Evenly crumble the mixture over the blueberries.
- Cover the skillet or pan with foil and place over the campfire for 45-60 minutes until nice and brown.
- Serve warm with a side of vanilla ice cream.
- We found the most beautiful coastal views in the United States, and you do not want to miss them.
- This s’more-gasbord idea (see what we did there?) is sure to bring out lots of laughs and smiles around the campfire this summer!
- Not sure how to spend July? Here are some fun and memorable ways to spend this quintessential summer month.
- Take in this country’s history with a revolutionary road trip perfect for RVers!
- Find more campgrounds at ThousandTrails.com.