Fall foliage at Lynchburg RV Campground nearby the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway
When the pandemic first hit, everyone ventured outdoors for fun. Now, as places have opened up, there are plenty of people who still prefer the outdoors, while keeping a safe distance from others. (Who could blame them? The outdoors is the place to be!) That’s just fine but that means wherever you go outdoors, you’ll probably find a lot of other people with the same idea. Another option to enjoy the fall colors this season is to take a colorful a drive. This way it’s just you, your travel companions, and the great outdoors enjoyed from inside your vehicle.
- Indiana Covered Bridge Loop (Indiana): This lovely route takes you through six counties in Southern Indiana known for having nine covered bridges, including the rare triple-span covered bridge. Stay at the Indian Lakes RV Campground while exploring these historic bridges and the charm of Southern Indiana in fall.
- Mountain to Sound Greenway (Washington): Running along Interstate 90, this 100-mile stretch of road provides some of the best scenery in the Pacific Northwest including mountains, forests, and of course, the fall colors. Tall Chief RV & Camping Resort is a great jumping-off point to start this beautiful road trip.
- Columbia River Highway/Scenic Byway (Oregon): Several Oregon campgrounds are near this historic scenic byway so explore at your leisure and camp along the way (check out Mt. Hood Village and Portland Fairview RV Campground). Small towns, amazing landscape, a couple of waterfalls, and the colors of fall are this trip’s highlights.
- Mohawk Trail (Massachusetts): Head out from Sturbridge RV Campground to catch the Mohawk Trail and then meander around Massachusetts as far as you want to go. Check out mohawktrail.com for some driving routes.
- Blue Ridge Parkway (Virginia): It’s called 75 miles of Splendor for a reason. Leave from the Lynchburg RV Campground on this day drive that includes portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Poplar Forest, Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest retreat.