Did you know that the Hershey candy empire did not begin with chocolate, but rather caramel? It’s true! Milton Hershey’s first candy company, the Lancaster Caramel Company, opened in 1886. Of course, he didn’t invent caramel; that feat can be traced back to 1000 A.D. We’ve gathered a few recipes to salute the long-loved, ooey-gooey treat.
Salted Caramel Apple Dip (serves 4)
(Recipe from 50campfires.com)
1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
1 package cream cheese, cut in to 1-inch cubes
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup caramel sauce
Cinnamon, to taste
Apples for dipping
Over the campfire, heat the apple pie filling and cream cheese until the cream cheese is melted. Remove from the heat and stir in nutmeg, salt, and caramel sauce. Garnish with a little cinnamon and extra caramel sauce. Dip apple slices and enjoy!
Cinnamon Caramel S’mores
(Recipe from amandaoutside.com)
1 package graham crackers
1 bar of caramel-filled chocolate (ex: Cadbury Caramello)
- Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon on top of each graham cracker half
- Place a square of the caramel-filled chocolate bar on top of one of the graham cracker halves.
- Toast a marshmallow over the campfire until golden brown
- Layer the toasted marshmallow on top of the chocolate and cover with the top half of the graham cracker. Slide the marshmallow from roasting stick.
Caramel Apple Pudgy Pie (makes 1 pie)
(Recipe from neverendingjourneys.com)
2 slices white bread
¼ cup apple pie filling
2 tablespoons caramel topping
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray inside of both sides of pie iron with nonstick cooking spray.
- Butter 1 side of a slice of bread, and place buttered side down on the pie iron.
- Spread apple pie filling on top of the slice of bread, sprinkle with ground cinnamon, then drizzle with caramel topping.
- Butter 1 side of another slice of bread, and place buttered side up on top of the apple pie filling topped bread.
- Close up the pie iron and cook over hot coals for 1 minute to 1 ½ minutes on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes total.
- Once done, carefully open the pie iron, remove your pudgy pie, transfer to a plate, and enjoy!
- Need more caramel? Check out this Apple Pie Lasagna Icebox Cake!
- Fall flavors abound with these Maple Glazed Carrots.
- Sometimes, the best apple recipes come in cake form, like this French Apple Cake.
- Chicken and Rice Casserole is the perfect fall to winter transition dinner.
- Find more campgrounds at ThousandTrails.com