12 inch Dutch oven: coals for frying, braising and finishing, probably a couple of small batches
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts (see recipes notes for frozen), each cut in 1/2
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer to paper to drain. Drain the pan and leave 2 TB fat.
- Add the butter and onion to skillet. Saute onion over medium heat until translucent, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in Brussels sprouts and cook for 2 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add in chicken broth.
- Cover and braise the Brussels sprouts until not quite done/tender, maybe 3-5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, stir in mustard, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook, uncovered until Brussels sprouts are tender and the liquid is reduced to a glaze, 2-3 minutes more.
- Stir in maple syrup and bacon just before taking the pan off the heat. Serve wam.
To use frozen Brussels sprouts in this recipe, defrost them overnight in the refrigerator for best results. Cooking time in the boiling water should be reduced to about 4 minutes, or you can microwave them according to package directions.
Note: Brussels sprouts can lose their bright green color if kept warming in the oven.