10 inch dutch oven; 28 coals to make a 425 degree oven (18 on lid, 10 underneath in a ring)
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg)
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- Light the coals. When the coals are hot, put the oven with the lid onto the coals to begin preheating. I like a preheat of about 10 minutes. Once the oven is hot, you’ll want to put the other 1 tablespoon of oil into the bottom. This creates a nice brown and crispy crust.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together in a medium bowl, reserving that 1 extra tablespoon of oil. After the oven is preheated, put in the reserved oil. Make sure to cover the bottom of the oven. Pour in the batter, and replace the lid.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes. The top should be slightly browned and the bread puffed up. The center should be firm.
- Remove from heat. Let the oven cool for a couple of minutes. Invert onto a serving tray.