The multi-purpose egg is celebrated with a national day in June. Eggs are great for snacks, in baking, in salads, and of course, as a breakfast course. Here is a great recipe to make while camping to celebrate this oval culinary staple.
Campfire Shakshuka (Serves 2)
Recipe from freshoffthegrid.com
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 poblano pepper, seeded and sliced
1 small onion, diced
3 gloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
¼ cup feta cheese
Salt and pepper
Heat oil in your pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the poblano, red bell peppers, and onions, stir to coat, and cook for 5 minutes until browning begins, stirring as needed. Add the garlic, paprika, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the can of diced tomatoes, including juices. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, allowing mixture to thicken.
Crack the eggs into the sauce, spacing them evenly apart. Cover and allow the eggs to cook until the whites are set and the yolk is cooked to your preferred consistency, about 5-7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, Serve immediately, topping with feta cheese and chopped parsley and with a few slices of crusty bread.
- Plan a trip to these five U.S. military museums to honor those who have served.
- We invented a road trip that honors some famous inventors! Check out the most inventive road trip here.
- Summer is here and the skillets are well seasoned! This easy camping skillet deserves a place at the table.
- Camping comes with health benefits, can you name all of them?
- Explore the Thousand Trails Camping Pass and the Thousand Trails Cabin Pass.
- Find more campgrounds at ThousandTrails.com.