January is National Oatmeal Month and for some reason, more oats are bought in January than in any other month of the year. Maybe it has to do with New Year’s resolutions and healthy eating (oats have many health benefits including lowering blood sugar and cholesterol levels and boosting your immune system). So, consider jumping on this trend with this cozy recipe.
Johnny Apple Seed Oatmeal (serves 2)
Recipe from freshoffthegrid.com
2 cups water
1 cup rolled oats
1 medium apple, diced into cubes
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons flax or chia seeds
2 tablespoons maple syrup
In a medium pan, add the oats and water and simmer for 10 minutes or until oats are tender, stirring occasionally. Halfway through cooking time, add the apples, spices, and maple syrup.
- Once you take a bite out of this kale and chicken sausage rice bowl, you’ll add it to your dinner rotation!
- Is there a more classic Florida road trip than the Overseas Highway? We don’t think so.
- Jot these holiday museums down for some cheery fun next December!
- Chasing the sun this winter? Explore Palm Springs and take in all it has to offer!
- Find more campgrounds at ThousandTrails.com.