Declare your independence from working too hard in the kitchen this camping season and try these quick recipes – one for breakfast and one for dinner. With these fast but delicious recipes, you’re free to spend the day anyway you please!
Breakfast – Chickpea Breakfast Hash (2 servings)
(Recipe from freshoffthegrid.com)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 summer squash, sliced into ½-inch half moons
1 small red onion, sliced into ¼-inch half moons
3 mini sweet peppers, cut into ¼-inch slices
1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet over the campfire or camp stove on medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Add the onions, peppers, and squash and sauté until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained chickpeas and spices and cook until the veggies and chickpeas are cooked through (browned in some spots), about 10 minutes.
- Move the veggies and chickpeas to the sides of the skillets to create a well in the pan. Add a bit more oil to bottom of pan if it looks dry. Crack the two eggs and cook to your liking.
- Remove heat from skillet and serve.
Dinner – Walking Tacos (4 servings)
(Recipe from bigoven.com)
1 pound ground beef
1 pouch taco seasoning
4 bags (individual sized) Fritos or corn chips
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup shredded lettuce
Prepare the beef taco mix ahead of time – brown the onion and add the ground beef and seasoning, cooking thoroughly. Store in airtight container and keep cold.
At camp, reheat the beef over the campfire or on the camp stove. Before opening, crush the corns chips in the bag. Then open the bag and spoon in the taco meat and toppings of your choice. Top with cheese. Enjoy your walking taco and just toss the bag in the garbage when done!
- This recipe will give you the ultimate oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
- Things to do in beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine.
- Why choose between a cheeseburger and a salad when you can make this cheeseburger salad?
- These cilantro lime chicken kebabs are the perfect summer meal.
Find more campgrounds at ThousandTrails.com.