This month is all about avocados! Avocados are part of the fruit family but are more of a nut than an actual fruit in terms of their nutrient concentration. They are an excellent source of healthy fats and B vitamins, both of which give you sustained energy throughout the day. They make a great alternative to mayonnaise and in some cases sour cream and butter!
Did you know? Once picked it takes about 1-2 weeks for avocados to ripen at room temperature. Which means by the time you purchase them at the grocery store they usually only take about 1-3 days. You can get them to ripen faster by placing them next to fresh fruit like bananas or apples.
Prep time: 8 minutes
Total time: 8 minutes
Yields: 4 mini sandwiches
- 4 Hawaiian rolls
- 1 avocado, sliced into quarters
- 1/4 – 1/3 C pre roasted chicken, shredded
- 1 tsp mustard or mayonnaise
- few slices of romaine lettuce
- sprinkle black pepper
- Slice the rolls in half and add the mustard or mayonnaise to each side.
- Place a few slices of the pre roasted chicken on the bottom.
- Top with lettuce and about 1/4 avocado.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Add the top of the roll to create a sandwich and enjoy!