Ham and Pea Soup
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 min
- 1 onion diced small
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 2 c. diced ham
- 1 16oz package frozen organic peas
- 5 cups bone broth
- 1 bay leaf
- In a medium pot heat bacon fat until melted over medium heat, once melted add in the onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add the peas and stir to combine for about 5 min., then add broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring the pot to a boil for 10 minutes, then let simmer for about an hour. blender to break up the peas so they split.
- Reduce to low and add in the bay leaf and the ham cook for additional 40 min.
If you have not made ham prior, place 1 pork shoulder or butt in water and let simmer for 6-8 hours.