It’s blueberry season! Blueberries have almost no fat, are low in sodium and have tremendous nutritional value. And, whether dressed up in a crisp or crumble, poured over pancakes, or eaten plain, they are quite the sweet little treat.
Campfire Blueberry Crisp (recipe from mommyhatescooking.com)
Ingredients for Blueberry Filling:
32 ounces fresh blueberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon regular or gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup water
Ingredients for Topping:
1 cup regular or gluten-free old-fashioned oats
1 cup regular or gluten-free flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter, softened
- In a cast iron skillet or aluminum baking pan, place the blueberries evenly on the bottom.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then, place this mixture evenly over the blueberries.
- Pour in the water.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon and nutmeg over it to enhance the flavor.
- In another bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Then, mix in the softened butter.
- Evenly crumble the mixture over the blueberries.
- Cover the skillet or pan with foil and place over the campfire for 45-60 minutes until nice and brown.
- Serve warm with a side of vanilla ice cream.
Blueberry-Cinnamon Campfire Bread (recipe from tasteofhome.com)
1 loaf (1 pound) cinnamon-raisin bread
6 large eggs
1 cup milk or half-and-half cream
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- Prepare campfire or grill for low heat. Arrange bread slices on a greased double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 24×18 in.). Bring foil up the sides, leaving the top open. Whisk eggs, milk, syrup and vanilla. Pour over bread; sprinkle with nuts and 1 cup blueberries. Fold edges over top, crimping to seal.
- Place on a grill grate over campfire or grill until eggs are cooked through, 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining blueberries; serve with additional maple syrup if desired.
Oven Directions:Preheat oven to 350°. Place foil packet on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining blueberries; serve with syrup